Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sunday's Coming

Good morning,

Yesterday was a very busy day so I didn't get to my post but better late than sorry.

I pray all is well with you and if not, that you would share with me. LaVon and I will pray with you.

Yesterday, a brother in Christ went home to be with the Lord. He was my prayer warrior and encourager. I will miss him so but I know he is with Jesus today. I also know he wouldn't want me to be sad but to rejoice with him. The story that follows could be from him. Enjoy!

Have a great day, love you, pass it on.
Don

It Is Well With My Soul


You will keep in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3 (NKJV).

Most of us have heard the song, “It is well with my soul,” and must have sung it a few times. A few of us are, however, aware of the story that is behind the writing of that song. Horatio G. Spafford's life seemed to be on a steep descend but in it all he never gave up on God, he held on! He was a lawyer and had a successful practice in Chicago. He was married to Anna and they were blessed with four girls and a boy, but the boy died when he was very young. Later Horatio invested heavily in real estate but the great Chicago fire caused great devastation in his life and he lost everything.

Booking passage on the luxury steamer S.S. Ville du Havre, the Spaffords planned to sail to England for a break. When Horatio was detained, his family sailed without him. In the middle of the Atlantic, the ship was rammed and sank in 12 minutes. Only 47 people were saved. Anna cabled two heartbreaking words to her husband: "Saved alone." Horatio immediately set out to join her. As he stood at the rail looking down on the billowing waves over the spot where his daughters had drowned, he wrote the words to the hymn that has comforted so many hurting people:

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll -
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well; it is well with my soul.

Are you hurting today because of the loss that you have suffered in your life? Has it been so painful you were thinking of ending your life? Just remember it is well with your soul! God loves you so much and His desire is to give you peace even in times of hurting. Jesus spoke and said,

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid,” (John 14 v 27).

3 comments:

Claudia said...

I was so sorry to hear that J.T. has passed, but know he is now where we all will again gather someday. Our trip home (other than some scary and a bit treacherous weather) was a good one. It is spring in Iowa. Praise be to God for our wonderful life! Miss you guys a LOT!!

Wendy and Rick Fury said...

I never new the story. I loved this one. It hit home. But most of yours do. That's why I can't wait till the next one comes out. You and LaVon have a very special place in our hearts. Thank you for being you! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a great, comforting and uplifting column. Even when we are up, it doesn't hurt to be lifted higher! I was also reminded of the story of the Thomas Dorsey's experience and the subsequent song: Take My Hand, Precious Lord. How marvelous to know that He is there to take our hand.