Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sunday’s Coming

Good Morning,

Greetings from the Texas Hill Country.

I have been reading a book by Jim Cymbala, You Were Made For More.  Yesterday, the chapter I read, “What’s Up With This?” made me really think.  It brought back memories of my basketball days, especially the beginning of the season.  The first practice was nothing but running.  We ran laps, bleachers, and what we called suicide drills where you start on the end line and ran to the the free throw line backwards.  We ran to the end line, then to the mid court line and back to the end line. Oh my!  Just thinking of this makes me hurt.  The next morning I hurt in places I didn’t even know I had.

This gave us a great foundation when games started.  We were in shape.

Hardships, trials and hurts produce a solid foundation in our soul.

Jesus told his followers that a life of faith would not be easy. 

John 16:33 (NLT) – “ I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”

Jesus is saying that God will accomplish his purposes, regardless of the disappointments and bumps that life brings our way

Trials are a part of the Christian life.  God shows us how to avoid some of them, but he walks through others right along beside us.

Praise the LORD!

1 Thessalonians 3:1-4 (NLT)

3 Finally, when we could stand it no longer, we decided to stay alone in Athens, 2 and we sent Timothy to visit you. He is our brother and God’s co-worker in proclaiming the Good News of Christ. We sent him to strengthen you, to encourage you in your faith, 3 and to keep you from being shaken by the troubles you were going through. But you know that we are destined for such troubles. 4 Even while we were with you, we warned you that troubles would soon come—and they did, as you well know.

No comments: