Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sunday's Coming

Good Morning,

Thanks for your prayers. God is answering. We continue to grow each week. We have been asked many times if we are coming back next season and I really don't know. Pray with us for God's direction.


We had seven people to join our new church choir and four more committed to coming to choir practice Friday morning.  We are very excited about the participation and how much the choir adds to the atmosphere of worship.


My sermon this week is on Forgiveness.

Tony Crawford was a police officer in the Dallas Police Department. He was shot by two teenagers and was left paralyzed from the waist down. Finally, the trials were completed and the last assailant was found guilty and sent to prison.

But there was a really tender scene pictured in the newspaper that showed Tony Crawford in his wheel chair holding the hand of the young man who had shot him. And the news reported that Tony Crawford said to him, "I forgive you and I hope you’ll keep in touch and let me know how you’re getting along down there."

Then he said, "It’s over and it’s time for me to get on with my life and I will do that until I hear Him say to me on that day, `Get up and walk.’"

Scripture: Mat. 18: 21: Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" 22 Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

What is forgiveness?
 

Some people who have trouble with forgiveness think that forgiveness does not take the harm of sin seriously. But forgiveness does take it very seriously. Forgiveness does not excuse sin, it does not say "O that’s alright, your sin really wasn’t a bother, my stay in the hospital wasn’t that long, and I was able to catch up on my reading!"
No forgiveness calls sin, sin, and in many ways it holds the sinner accountable for their actions. Forgiveness says, "you hurt me, and what you did was wrong, but I will not hold it against you, I will not try to get back at you and I will not hate you for it."

It is not easy to forgive, but God in his grace gives us the power to do it.

We are able to forgive because God is in charge.

We want to thank you for your support through your prayers, calls, e-mails and financial. When I am down we receive one of the above from one of you and God reminds me He is still here and that each of you are here with us. So Thank You.

Have a great day, love you, pass it on.
Don

No comments: