Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sunday's Coming

Good morning once again,

We are in stormy Oklahoma. There are storms in the state again today so please keep us in your prayers.

Just as storms from the weather come, so do storms in our life. It may be from family, friends or work and even in the church, so what do we do when someone gets mad at you or you have a grievence with someone? I read a story this week that deals with this issue.

"Once, there were two brothers who lived on adjoining farms who fell into conflict. It was the first serious rift they'd had in 40 years of farming side-by-side. They used to share machinery and trade labor and goods as each of them needed, without a hitch. But the collaboration fell apart.

"It began with a small misunderstanding and eventually grew into a major difference until finally it exploded into an ugly exchange of words, followed by weeks of silence. One morning there was a knock on John's door. He opened it to find a man with a carpenter's toolbox.

'I'm looking for a few days work, he said. Would you have anything around here that I help you with?'

"Yes, said the older brother. 'I do have a job for you. Look across the creek at that farm. That's my neighbor. It's my younger brother's place! Last week there was a meadow between us. He took his bulldozer to the river levee and now there's a creek between us. He may have done this to spite me, but I'm going to do him one better. See that pile of lumber over there by the barn? I want you to build an 8-foot high fence so I won't have to see my brother's farm or his face anymore.'

"The carpenter said, 'I think I understand the situation. Show me where you have some nails and a post-hole digger and I'll be able to do a job that will please you.'

"The older brother had to go to town, so he helped the carpenter get the materials ready and then he was off for the day. The carpenter worked hard all that day--measuring, sawing and nailing.

About sunset when the farmer returned, the carpenter had just finished his job. The farmer's eyes opened wide, and his jaw dropped at what he saw. There wasn't a fence there at all. It was a bridge--a bridge that stretched from one side of the creek to the other! It was beautifully built with handrails and all! He then saw his neighbor--his younger brother, coming toward them, with his hand outstretched.

'You're really remarkable--to build this bridge after all I've said and done.'

"The two brothers stood at each end of the bridge, and then walked toward each other in the middle, taking each others hand. They then turned to see the carpenter hoist his toolbox on his shoulder. The older brother yelled out, 'No, wait! Stay for a few days. I have a lot of other projects for you to do.'

'I'd love to stay,' the carpenter said, 'but I have a lot more bridges to build.'"

And so do we whenever we have grievances against one another.

When someone attacks, our natural reaction is to fight back."

We need to keep in mind that "We're Christ's representatives. God uses us to persuade men and women to drop their differences and enter into God's work of making things right between them." (2 Corinthians 5:19 - The Message)

I pray you are a bridge builder today.

Have a great day, love you, pass it on.
Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great story, so needed for families and friends. I've already passed it on to one of my children that has a hard time forgiving.
Hope you are both doing great. Check my new email. ATT and Hotmail wasn't good for me, so I have a gmail address!