Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sunday's Coming

Good morning again from Arizona,

It has been another busy week. Just like back home, people get sick, have to go to the hospital, so we get to visit with them and their family. We pray and show the love that Jesus commands us to have.

We also have people coming by our house to talk, and also meet people out and about that need to share with someone.

There is a lot of hurt in our world today. People say things to each other that is hard to get over, they hurt one another. So what are we to do?

I read the following this morning and just felt I needed to share with you.

Thanks again for your suport, prayers, emails and phone calls. It is so encouraging.

Have a great day, love you, pass it on,
Don

Forgiveness,
Corrie Ten Boom in her excellent book "Tramp for the Lord” tells of a time when some close Christian friends hurt her. Forgiveness was hard; it took time. Finally, it happened and she was able to move on.
Many years later, she was now past eighty years old, a friend paid Corrie a visit. As the two of them sat in her tiny apartment in Holland, he asked about those people who years earlier had taken advantage of her.
"It is nothing," Corrie said, "It is all forgiven."
Then she continued, “They say there is nothing to forgive! They deny it every happened. No matter what they say, though, I can prove they were wrong."
I want to continue the story now using Corrie’s own words: I went eagerly to my desk. "See, I have it in black and white! I saved all their letters and I can show you where...."
My friend slipped his arm through mine and gently closed the drawer. "Corrie! Aren't you the one whose sins are at the bottom of the sea? Yet are the sins of your friends etched in black and white?"
For an astonishing moment I could not find my voice. "Lord Jesus," I whispered at last, "who takes all my sins away, forgive me for preserving all these years the evidence against others! Give me grace to burn all the blacks and whites as a sweet-smelling sacrifice to your glory."
I did not go to sleep that night until I had gone through my desk and pulled out those letters--curling now with age--and fed them all into (the fire.)
“Forgive us our trespasses,” Jesus thought us to pray, “as we forgive those who trespass against us.” In the ashes of those letters I was seeing yet another facet of His mercy....”
She went on to write, “Forgiveness is the key which unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred. It breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness.” 1 Corinthians 13:5 simply notes that love “keeps no record of wrongs suffered.”
If you want to truly and completely forgive, drop the matter. Let it go.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

Your post was so good. As always I could see some things in myself that need work and that is what I intend to do. Please never stop helping all of us through God. I look forward to seeing you in January. So stay healthy and take care of yourself and LaVon.

BUD AND SHELLEY said...

THANK YOU DON YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH GRIEF I WAS GOING THROUGH ABOUT THIS SAME THING. I KEPT THIS GRIEF AND ANGER FOR OVER A YEAR. SOMEONE HAD HURT ME DEEPLY AND I REALLY HAD A HARD TIME LETTING IT GO. BUT AFTER READING YOUR POST I FEEL RELEAVED!
PRAISE TO GOD. LOVE TO YOU AND LAVON

Peggy & Bill said...

I needed that little sermon! I, too, have had this problem of forgiveness. I keep saying I have forgiven & forgotten, but have the "black & white" in my cupboard. Time to destory it & get on with my life! Thank You for the reminder!

EaglesEye said...

I think that too much of the time we are so caught up in the past that we do not have time for the present or the future. By learning to let go and let God we can begin to build each new day with God in every second of our being finding newness and glory in all that happens. We fail to realize that what we perceive as bad is in fact a glorified moment from God, it is just that most of us do not know how to read it the moment. Learn to thank God for every moment and every thing and you will soon feel the glory and joy of God. It is truly incredible.