Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sunday's Coming

Good morning,

I know it has been a while and God impressed upon me to send something out today.

We are in Norman, OK and will be here until May 15th, then on to Tulsa for a few days.

We are going to Branson for the summer and will be preaching in two parks again this year. Keep us in your prayers that God continues to use us and safety as we travel. Also, for the support we need to live each day.

I read this today and it tells so much of how I feel.

Back in the 1980's Bette Midler came out with a song that has alwaystouched my heart. The song's title is "You are the Wind Beneath My Wings". The words of the chorus are especially meaningful. Notice them, "Did you ever know that you're my hero, and everything I would like to be? I can fly higher than an eagle, 'causeyou are the wind beneath my wings. It might have appeared to go unnoticed, butI've got it all here in my heart. I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it; I would be nothing with out you."

Actually I hadn't heard or thought about that song for a long time then I ran across an amazing story.

Notice this wonderful testimony to a caring heart:
"Astonished, I watched the man roller-skating toward me on the bicycle path. An owl, wings outstretched, clung to a leather patch on his shoulder. As they got closer, I could tell that the giant bird had lost part of one wing.

The skaterstopped for a breather.

"Twice a day we go out so he can pretend he's flying," the man told me.

"I'm sure he would repay you if he could," I replied.

"He already has," the skater said. "I used to weigh 25 pounds moreand I smoked."

With that, man and bird took off again". ("Life In These UnitedStates", Readers Digest Magazine).

As I contemplated this story, I wondered how many of us have a person who is or has helped us to fly, perhaps to soar when the world has tried to push you down. And I also wondered when might be the last time we thanked them? I am continually astonished! I have many wonderful people in my life that are a constant encouragement to me and I hope I in some small way to return the favor.

There are times that my wing is broken and I am flapping around in circles on the ground then someone comes along. Maybe unknown to you, you help me to fly again and I am astonished at you. Astonished that you care, astonished at God's love seen through you!

Thank you for your love and support, those emails you send, the phone calls just at the right time. You help me to fly again.

Just this week I spoke to a dear friend and he talked of the times he is ready to call it quits and resign from his church then some saint says some encouraging words and he is off and flying again.

Have a great day, love you, pass it on!
Don

1 comment:

Wendy and Rick Fury said...

Don, You have been such an inspiration to me. I loved hearing you preach and applying it to your own life. It made everything more real and down to earth. I still think of you and your sermons almost daily and they have helped me when I was down and disheartened. Thank you so much for entering my life. Keep up God's good work. Love, Wendy